Thursday, March 5, 2015

My love for the game



As many people know, basketball became a job in high school. The word basketball automatically included other words such as pain, frustration, anger, and confusion. I was thrilled and so thankful I could play my senior year after years of physical therapy and doctors, but I was at peace when the season ended. I had learned a lot about myself, God and life through my basketball career. I felt as if this chapter in my life was complete and God had other exciting and challenging things to come.
During the first few weeks at UNC I started to really miss the game. I missed the "swoosh" and the sound of shoes squeaking on the gym floor. So I started playing basketball on the court outside my dorm and at the gym. I played HORSE with my guy friends and won a few bucks :) People kept asking me why I did not try out for the Club team. I could not explain it to them well, but I was having fun just playing the game- no rules, no structure, no pressure to suck up the physical pain I was in. If my body started to hurt I could just sit out and it was totally ok. Whenever I was frustrated with a test grade or was having a hard time understanding my homework, I would go to the gym and shoot around. I could go and use basketball to release my frustration instead of basketball being the reason for my frustration.
About a month ago I made a coed IM team. We are 4-1 and are in the semi-finals. I cant't even begin to explain the joy I have when I am on the court. I feel so free and just... happy. I love the game. I love talking, reading, watching and playing it. It has become a huge blessing in my life. Yeah it would have been nice if I was never injured and could play without the constant pain, but I would not change it. Without those hard years, I would not be the person I am today. I would not be as close to God, would not appreciate the gifts God blessed with me, and might not even be at UNC. I am thankful for those years, because God molded and shaped me into who I am today. Do not get me wrong... it sucked. I have a stronger relationship with my parents, family and God because of those years.
I am thankful for those painful times, but amazed at how God works. I never thought I would be able to have as much fun playing as I used to, but once again He came through. Once again, our God provided. He always comes through. 




“Forget the former things;    do not dwell on the past; 
See, I am doing a new thing!" - Isaiah 43: 18-19a


"we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance"
- Romans 5:3








No comments:

Post a Comment